Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mr. Moerder and Giant Trucks

Today while I was delivering the afternoon free paper, I noticed the large number of massive trucks bustling around the neighborhood in which I was delivering. It is a nice neighborhood and I continued to think about the trucks. I personally enjoy large, beastly trucks although I drive around in a little dodge neon. The trucks up here are quite impressive, most of them are diesel which save gas and I believe most of them are bought and used with good reason. Shitty weather, help on the work site, leaving out in the bush, etc...I guess the problem I do have is that many people in these suburban "American-like" neighborhoods are all scooting around in their GMC 2500 HD Diesel or their Dodge Rams with a Cummins diesel engine. They drive these massive trucks yet keep them spic and span, not allowing a drop of dirt to get on them. This really irritates me and this is when I noticed that a lot of these suburban areas around Kamloops are stricken with the same disease that we have in the US suburbs.

My friend Jules has a specific term for the disease but I cannot recall. Anyway, everyone has these perfectly manicured lawns. This is late October and in the morning I still come across homes running their watering system in the early hours. In my afternoon runs, I may see some homes with their local landscaper spreading oil based fertilizer throughout the lawn to spruce it up. I never understood these phenomena. I understand taking care of your truck, but why not use it for what it was built for? If you work on a big construction site or live on a farm, etc...then so be it, they are perfect for you...but a suburb. I don't know. I hope Aunt Bonnie does not get mad at me because I love her red Dodge Ram, I am not going to lie. The lawn thing bothers me more than anything. I understand the soil is weak up here, but maybe attempt to throw down a garden, I know my landlord was successful in this endeavor...it saved her money and it has a positive effect on the environment. Hell, put rocks instead of grass down or make it like Nevada...throw down some astroturf. I struggle to see how having these homes and perfectly kept yards can actually make someone truly happy. That is why I am writing this.

Now, Moerder popped into my head because he is the most awkward person I have ever seen driving a large truck. The bastard also worships science like it is a religion. I have my qualms with science but for the most part I enjoy the benefits of modern science. Nothing beats the ability to travel anywhere, learn about anything (thank you internet and wikipedia), be exposed to new ideas, meet people you may have never met in the old days and stay in touch with family and friends via email, telephone, computer. I especially love the telephone. I truly believe it is gradually bringing people closer together, including cell phones. My problem with the cell phone is that it does cost too much.

My biggest problem with science is that people put so much stock into what it can do for us in the future. Everyone is always saying, "Oh, science makes life so easy and things are going to be so easy in the future for us." Well, science I think screws us in that sense. We work long hours and we are no longer working apprenticeships in our homes, instead we sit in tight cubicles with cramped backs, bugged out eyes and a yearning for our children or wife or husband who may be at home. We go to the chiropractor or doctor and then if we are feeling down about something we fix it with zoloft or some other pill. These are the types of things that bother me. Pasteurizing milk, brainwashing people to think certain things and abusing the power of controlling new technology is destroying science. So, in regards to Moerder (and I believe he knows this), I do respect science but I do not respect those in power who abuse it or those who are not in power and succumb to the temptations of the quick "fix" that science may provide. I guess I just need to continue to wait for 2063 when we achieve warp speed and the science based utopia is achieved and we can continue on our amazing star trek.

I know these posts and concepts may offend people, I am sorry but this is how I feel. We can discuss them in a reasonable fashion at some point.

14 comments:

Christopher Foulds said...

Who wouldn't watch God's team (BC Lions) play the ORIGINAL version of football?
It's superior to the yawn-inducing sacrilege down south that offers up fair catches, downing the ball and no motion at the line, all the while plopping down 11 grotesquely huge men on a field the size of a postage stamp. Four downs to get a first down? Damn, my grandma can fall down four times and march her way to a TD! And she's dead).
Anyway, of course I watched the Lions. Just as I will tape their game against Hamilton Friday while I take my little guy to the Blazers game.
UFC?
Ain't bad for the first 10 seconds when they actually swing away. Kind of gets boring and disturbing when they then spend an hour groping each other on the floor.
But, hey, to each their own.
I'd rather watch Roy Jones Jr in his prime, Aaron Pryer in his pre-crack days or wait until December and watch Mayweather defend the belt in a real fight.
And I don't own a big truck. Just a Civic. And it hasn't been washed since the spring. That should make your Pennsylvania sensibilities sing ...

Murder said...

Just to clarify:

Do you consider me the person that looks the most awkward while driving a big truck?

OR

Do you consider me, out of all the people who have driven big trucks, to be the most awkward?

This is actually important for me to know.

Murder said...

Also check out this great Pessimism tab on the Wiki page for Technology. This seems a little more like what you (and I, too) despise about technology.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology#Pessimism

Also scroll down a little further to find a hilarious pic of a gorilla using a stick to walk through water.

Dane Miller said...

Moerder, you look the most awkward driving a truck out of all of the people who I have seen driving trucks. Haha. Almost as awkward as you swinging a sledgehammer left-handed (or me for that matter). I agree with that pessimism tab for the most part. I would like to read the Unabomber's shit on technology. Also, Lewis Mumford has some good shit about the development of cities and how he did not support the way many of the new cities were laid out by technocrats. This is all very interesting...that gorilla looks eerily reminiscent of me coming out of the Maiden Creek with a torch in my hand for Kirby Puckett Games 3. Haha.

b-$moov said...

isnt the republic of congo called zaire now??

b-$moov said...

wait, and also, whats wrong with technology? if we didnt have cars, i couldnt sit in traffic and take 40 minutes to get to work. id have to ride my bike and take 45 minutes!! thats ridic!

ps - i climb ropes better than anyone who reads this blog. including ben heins assisting adam moerder.

b-$moov said...

pps - am i really posting 3 comments on a blog? i love technology!!

Dane Miller said...

No, Millsky...it is still Republic of Congo as far as I know. Loser.

Christopher Foulds said...

Dane: I have the entire manifesto of the Unabomer (and that is how the feds spell it, despite it;s obvious paucity of the necessary B).
I printed it out years ago when he the Washington Post published it, per his demands.
I have read some ot it, but it's hard to stay focused.
It sounds like you would love it, though, considering your Luddite nature.
(Don't the Amish live near you in the Keystone State?)

Jon R. said...

There seems to be some ambiguity here between the definitions of science and technology, and it looks like technology is the real culprit behind Mull's concerns. Science is about acquiring understanding, technology is about applying that knowledge to develop tools. It has been a while since I have read Kaczynski's manifesto, so I won't comment on his views. I will say that he is much smarter than I am, and a whack job.

All of the complaints Mull mentions relate to mis-applications of scientific knowledge: developing pills as quick-fixes for people's hypochondria, empowering stupid people, etc. But all of these problems are derived from the inherent flaws of humans, not from the science. People develop technology and use scientific knowledge without serious objective consideration of the ramifications. It's the same types of human flaws that lead to wars, corruption, unwanted teen pregnancies, and that new sitcom about the Geico Cavemen. It's not something unique to technology.

So maybe the issue isn't about destroying technology and distancing ourselves from the direction society is going. Maybe it's more about educating and informing people so that they can make better decisions about how to apply scientific knowledge, perform cost-benefit analyses of its application, and cancel that Caveman show. It's about advocating for the benefits of being informed, rather than worshipping the naive.

Star Trek only becomes possible when the people applying the knowledge are able to make careful, informed, selfless decisions. And that is probably impossible, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't make an effort to try and make it happen anyway.

I don't trust anti-technologists because they are generally rife with bloated nostalgia and hypocrisy, uninformed about the realities of the past, and smell bad. And people who smell bad have already been discussed at depth in this blog.

Dane Miller said...

Chunnie Rowemuhn, I agree with your statements for the most part...yes, the problems with technology, that I have anyway, do in fact stem from the issue of humans. There are other technological advances that are "advances" but are absolute bullshit and in reality hurt the human progression or hurt the human body for the worse. I do agree with much of what you said using the Caveman analogy was quite precise. I would say I am definitely for being as informed as possible in regards to decision making and that would solve a lot of these problems. Are these problems a result of a flawed humanity or something else? I do not know.

Fouldsy, in regards to your Amish statement. I do indeed live near Amish. They originally settled in my county (Berks) before the natives whooped they ass and chased them to Lancaster. There are still Amish in my county and tons of Mennonite. I believe the Amish actually separated from the Mennonite. By no means do I believe that I should be completely separated from society and technology but I do believe that a greater separation sparks a much healthier lifestyle and a better community/family feel and a healthy relationship with those in your life.

Christopher Foulds said...

The ironic part of those trying to live a Luddite life came on the eve of 2000, when all the world was a collective chicken screaming about the sky.
Y2K is coming!!!!
At that time, people began fretting about a technological meltdown due to the alleged computer problem with the number 2000.
I recall an Amish community in Ohio doing brisk business selling all sorts of things that ran without electricity. All you needed was the sweat of your brow.
The funny thing is their greatest surge in sales came via the Internet

b-$moov said...

you fools! it's not about separating yourself from technology, this is impossible. technology exists as soon as problem solving exists, so separating oneself from technology won't work.

the point to be made is the same rowe made already. and really i think the best way to put it is "appropriate technology." certain technologies will be appropriate in some cultures and not at all in others, as the appropriateness depends not only on the tool/crafts influence on labor, but its influence as well on social structure, the environment, and a heap of other shizz.

wendell berry's rules for assessing the adoption of a new tool:

1. The new tool should be cheaper than the one it replaces.
2. It should be at least as small in scale as the one it replaces.
3. It should do work that is clearly and demonstrably better than the one it replaces.
4. It should use less energy than the one it replaces.
5. If possible, it should use some form of solar energy, such as that of the body.
6. It should be repairable by a person of ordinary intelligence, provided that he or she has the necessary tools.
7. It should be purchasable and repairable as near to home as possible.
8. It should come from a small, privately owned shop or store that will take it back for maintenance and repair.
9. It should not replace or disrupt anything good that already exists, and this includes family and community relationships.

Heinsy said...

Seriously, a car that parallel parks itself...

and, I hope my life never depends on how well I climb a rope.

AND, yes Dane, that gorilla is eerily reminiscent of you.