Saturday, November 3, 2007

Canadian Speak and Russian Training

Mr. B drastically changed my training this week. On Monday he felt that I was very flat and had adapted to the first 5 weeks of training. He decided to move me onto a more intense system. I am still throwing the 8k and the day break up is as follows. Morning session: I throw seven throws, do my full lift, throw seven throws, full lift and then seven throws and do one set of each lift. I take a break and recover and sleep and eat and come back and do the exact same thing in the afternoon. It is really really fun. So each week I do 50 sets of cleans, 50 sets of jump squats (the PSU strength guys would cringe) and then I take 220 throws a week. This number of throws is rather high and it really helps me get a solid feel in the circle. The thing that blows is that last week I tore up my left ab goofing around with another shot putter while we were trying to see who could throw an 4k shot the highest...I in fact won but hurt myself...so, all week I have been going full speed but at the front I am taking it very easy and not hitting it too hard. Hopefully on Monday I will be recovered from the injury. As Vernon and I always discussed...everyone gets hurt so you need to keep pushing it...when you are injured is when you need to take time off. I felt I am not seriously injured and can still train with the hurt ab.

Canadians speak very funny and they find my accent to be a bit amusing. Here is a simple example of what I am talking about....I say, "When I was in 8th grade, I went to KFC even if it was negative 5 outside." Canadians say, "When I was in grade 8, I went to Kentucky Fried Chicken (they did not have to change the name up here apparently) even when it was 5 under." The one other thrower laughed in my face when I kept referring to negative temperatures. It took him about 5 minutes to figure out what I was saying and then he told me about how no one ever speaks this way in Canada.

8 comments:

Christopher Foulds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher Foulds said...

Five under?
Never in my 39 years as a Canadian have I heard anybody in this great country refer to temperatures as such.
This is how everyone I know refers to temps:
"Man, it's cold! Must be about minus 10."
And we do NOT say "aboot," despite the ubiquitous references to such funny language on various American shows.
The closest dialect in Canada that would say "aboot" rather than "about" would be Newfies, and Newfoundland isn't REALLY part of Canada; we're just letting them visit for a spell.

Christopher Foulds said...

Now, when golfing, five-under is a common comment.

Chiyo said...

So Dane, sounds like your speech to Canadians is as Luis speech was to us....heheh. I KNOW you'll love this comment.

Jon R. said...

Hey Dane,

While you're in Canada, could you get Rick Moranis's autograph for me?

Thanks!

Dane Miller said...

Jon, that is the most ridiculous request I have ever come across in my life. I will do that for you, but only if you get me that twenty-something dork who is a professor at MIT and started writing serious computer programming when he was like 9. Loser.

Heinsy said...

While you're out getting autographs Dane, chalk me up for a Martin Short and a Michael J. Fox.

I would have loved Robert Goulet's but, well, you know...

Jon R. said...

Deal! I'll also get you a lock of his golden, brownish, unwashed hair.